Sunday, September 22, 2013

A Romans 8:28 Life Lesson

Well, I had gone back forth whether or not I would even acknowledge this happening via social media or not but I have decided that it may just help me get the items back (or at least get it off my chest)! So, on Saturday morning we were super excited to have a mini session set up with Suni. I had been anxious about not being able to get pictures this fall because of busy schedules, etc. but when she posted about doing a session for a family in need, I was super thrilled. Helping a family in need, having beautiful pictures taken, AND checking off pictures on my to do list on a day when we had nothing planned? It was a WIN WIN. Well, long story short, here is my letter to the editor that will hit The Toccoa Record on Thursday.

 To anyone who spends time in our beautiful downtown Toccoa area:


My name is Dana Horton. My family was having a family photo session on this past Saturday morning at approx. 10 am in the Pruitt Park/ downtown Toccoa area. We had our photo props and a white reusable shopping bag that says "Staples loves teachers" that we left beside the wall at Pruitt Park for 5-10 minutes to take a few pictures on the brick wall downtown. When we returned to use my daughter’s items as part of the photo session, they were gone. Someone had stolen a photo prop suitcase (dark brown, vintage looking), and the white bag full of my daughter’s things: my daughter's collectible Madame Alexander's baby doll, a bubble making toy, a rainbow colored outfit and bow, a lollipop, and most importantly, a hardback copy of the Dr. Seuss book "Oh The Places You Will Go". The book did have $75 cash folded up inside to give to the photographer. I desperately would like to have this book returned, as it would be of no value to anyone else. It was a gift from my parents when I graduated high school and had a very special message inside. I had planned on passing it down to my own daughter when she graduated high school. We never would have imagined items belonging to our little girl being stolen like this, especially in the few moments we walked away. While the chances of these items being found are very slim, I would ask that you please be on the look out for these items as you walk, run, or enjoy our downtown area. A police report has been filed and any person finding an item can turn it into the police department or return it to me. Thank you so much!



How cute was this going to be with Ellie Claire and her lollipop? :(

I want so badly to have the book back. It was going to be SO cute having James, Ellie Claire, and I reading it together. She loves this book and so do we. I had great plans for it. And James says "get another book and have your mom write another note"....it's still not the same. 

And what about her "baby" she is now missing? Nah-nah had brought this sweet doll back from Madame Alexander's in NYC just last month.

Now, I do realize I should have never left the bag there but I never in a million years would have thought that some person would have been waiting there in the bushes(?) ready to steal my daughter's belongings!!! We were only gone for about 10 minutes (got held up by Ellie Claire watching the trains that came through!) and it's not like Toccoa is a huge hub for crime where I was worried about this.  Sweet Suni spent extra time out of her day searching downtown and in trashcans and drove around all of downtown with me searching for any trace of the bag. We figured the person would have taken the money and dumped the rest but there's not a thing in sight after searching two days in a row. I have never had anything stolen from me which is why I think I am so bothered by it. I give people the benefit of the doubt and am too trusting, apparently. I'm not naive to think stuff like this doesn't happen, I just generally trust that most people make good choices and wouldn't steal from a bag that says "staples loves teachers". And to think they may have even been watching for us to leave and saw that those items were my daughter's....that's just really wrong. What kind of person takes a child's baby doll? But what satan tries to twist for evil.....God always turns for good. The family in need will still be lifted up and encouraged by Suni's good deed. I am praying that they be ever-so-blessed in the days to come. I am praying for the person who stole the items to have a guilty conscience and give the book to a local thrift store. I do fully realize these are all just things and not important in the big picture. I just have to keep reminding myself that God will fulfill His promise in Romans 8:28-whether the items be found or not!  




No comments:

Post a Comment